Have any plans for Independence Day? Picnic? Cook out? Staying in? Most people spend the holidays concerned with one thing: FOOD. Swap the high-calorie barbeque food for some of these simple healthy recipes. Whatever your plans are, these recipes are sure to be a hit. Get ready Bulls; these recipes are so good they should be ill-Eagle!
1. Red, White, and Blue Salad
It wouldn’t be Independence Day without some red, white, and blue themed food. Drop the artificial colors and try this salad that’s naturally festive. The best thing about salads is that you can swap out foods you don’t like and add your favorites. Have fun with it!
- ½ cup Strawberries
- ¼ cup Feta cheese crumbles
- ½ cup Blueberries
- Greens of choice
- 1 teaspoon Olive oil
- Lemon juice (1 yields)
- 2 teaspoons Honey
- Salt to taste
- Combine strawberries, feta, blueberries and greens in a bowl.
- Whisk dressing ingredients together and toss with salad.
2. Firecracker Sliders
What’s more All-American than a burger? Drop the traditional red meat for some ground chicken. For a vegetarian option you can use this method of using tofu in place of ground meat.
- 1 lb. Ground Chicken
- 1 cup Breadcrumbs
- ¼ cup Red Onion
- 2 cloves Garlic
- 1 Egg
- ¼ cup Sriracha
- ¼ cup agave
- Salt & Pepper
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl.
- Form into about 6 small patties.
- Heat griddle or pan.
- Cook burgers for 4 min on each side.
- Serve as desired. Enjoy!
Serve up these sliders with a bun or choose to make meatballs instead. Get creative!
3. Patriot Pops
These pops are revolutionary! They are naturally sweet and refreshing without added processed flavors and sugars.
- 1 cup Blueberries
- 2 cups Strawberries (or Raspberries)
- 2 cups Vanilla Yogurt
- Water for thinning
- Pulse blueberries in food processor or blender. Add water as needed to thin.
- Distribute blueberry mixture into Popsicle trays. Freeze for 15 min.
- Follow blueberry layer with layer of vanilla yogurt. Freeze for 15 min.
- Pulse Strawberries in food processor or blender. Add water as needed to thin.
- Distribute half of the strawberry mixture into Popsicle trays. Freeze for 15 min.
- Follow strawberry layer with layer of vanilla yogurt. Freeze for 15 min.
- Repeat steps 5 & 6 with the rest of the strawberries and yogurt.
- Freeze for 2 hours or until completely frozen.
- Remove from tray and enjoy!
You can get creative here too! Don’t like yogurt? Swap it out for something like pureed bananas.
4. Freedom-fused Water
If you haven’t tried fruit infused water by now, you’re missing out. No worries! Now is a great time to try or experiment with your water choices. You don’t have to limit yourself to these fruits (although they are super festive). You can infuse your water with all your favorite fruits. Try frozen fruit for a cool chill.
- 1 cup cut Blueberries
- 1 cup sliced Strawberries
- Add fruit as desired to glass of water.
- Let sit for 30 min to an hour at room temperature or in the refrigerator.
This one is super easy, I know! It’s amazing how a little fruit can spruce up your normal glass of water. You could even try adding some fruit to home-brewed Liber-tea. Trust me, you won’t be disappointed.
That’s all, Bulls! We hope you incorporate some of these healthy recipes this Independence Day. Be inspired to make your own healthy choices!