Packing lunch saves a lot of time and money, but pre-making meals and carrying them around all day can be a struggle. Enter the mason jar!
Mason jars are pretty much lunch-time heroes. They make any meal:
- Clean. The lid stops dressing from leaking in your bag.
- Easy. No need to lug around a bunch of containers or bags. Layer your favorite things and you’re done. They’re also microwave safe. Just remember to take off the lid.
- Fresh. Goodbye soggy lettuce! Add the dressing first and the lettuce will stay fresh.
- Fancy. Throw your meal in a mason jar and voila! That simple salad is now a gourmet meal handcrafted by you.
- Portable. A mason jar is small enough to throw in your backpack or purse. No more lunch box struggle.
Prepare the night before, grab in the morning and go! For a more substantial meal I’d recommend buying quart-sized jars. For the ultimate salad, layer your favorite whole-grains, leafy greens, veggies and protein with a vinaigrette.
There are a ton of recipes out there. Check out my simple salad recipe for a quick, delicious and healthy lunch.
Grain-based salads are high in fiber and protein. Remember to add your grains and dressing first to keep your greens fresh.
Happy eggs come from happy chickens. Look for pasture-raised eggs at your grocery store or pick up a dozen from a local farmer’s market.
- ½ cup kale
- ½ cup cooked quinoa
- 1 egg, poached
- 1 red Bell pepper, sliced
- Olive oil, for cooking
- Optional: black pepper for seasoning
Balsamic Hummus Dressing
- 1 tablespoon white balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons hummus
- ½ teaspoon lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon olive oil
- Italian spices
- Begin boiling water to poach the egg. I use a silicone Poach Pod because it is simple and only takes five minutes to poach the egg. Check out these instructions on how to poach an egg.
- Use a small amount of oil to roast the peppers on low-medium heat for about 10 minutes. Add a desired amount of black pepper for flavor.
- Mix the ingredients for the dressing. Mix the kale with some of the dressing and add the rest to the bottom of the jar.
- Add the quinoa, kale and peppers to the jar. Top with the poached egg.
- Store in fridge for tomorrow’s lunch or enjoy now!