Happy (Meatless) Monday, Bulls!
This past week I watched the awesome documentary Forks Over Knives on Netflix. The documentary describes the obesity epidemic and increasing health problems of the American public while offering the simple solution of a whole-food, plant-based diet.
It turns out going meatless as little as one day a week offers substantial health benefits. The main benefit being that a whole-food, plant-based diet can significantly lower the risk of heart disease and obesity. Meat doesn’t have to be the staple of every meal, and focusing on whole grains and vegetables will offer enough protein while upping your nutrient intake.
How do you make a meatless meal? You definitely don’t have to focus on pasta or salad. Check out my previous post on vegetarian protein sources for inspiration, or try this quick and easy Curried Chickpea Wrap for lunch. Not only is it 100% vegan, but it is also packed with flavor and nutrients. The chickpeas offer 16 grams of protein plus a ton of iron, fiber and magnesium per cup!
The recipe serves four, and it takes about 20 minutes to make. Make this recipe gluten-free by using lettuce wraps instead of tortillas!
Double the recipe and store the extra chickpeas in the fridge for a fast lunch and dinner option.
- 4 large whole wheat tortillas
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ tablespoon turmeric
- ½ tablespoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- ⅔ cup cashews
- ⅔ cup raisins
- 1 – 2 (15 oz.) canned chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- ½ large cucumber, thinly sliced
- 1 gala apple, chopped
- 1 tablespoon tahini (or peanut butter)
- ⅛ lemon juice
- Prepare ingredients. Drain and rinse chickpeas and chop garlic, cucumber, apple and onion.
- Add olive oil to pan over medium-high heat. Saute onions and spices for 2 – 3 minutes.
- Add chickpeas, garlic, raisins, and lemon juice and cook for another 2 – 3 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
- Add cashews and black peppers. Cook for another 2 – 3 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Combine cucumber, tahini, lemon juice, apples and pepper in a separate bowl. Toss to coat.
- Fill wrap with a large scoop of curry chickpeas and cucumber salad. Serve immediately.