It is International Hummus Day!
I LOVE hummus, and I am so excited there is an entire day dedicated to its deliciousness. How can you not love hummus? Not only does it go great with
pretty much anything, but it can also be a great vegetarian protein source and a healthier alternative for mayonnaise or creamy salad dressings. Unfortunately, store-bought hummus scan be expensive and high in sodium.
Make your own!
Homemade hummus is cheaper and more flavorful than anything store bought. This simple recipe takes about ten minutes to make 20 servings. It’s simple, flavorful, smooth, and life-changing. Say hello to your new favorite snack!
Want to know what you’re eating? Here are the healthiest ingredients in this recipe?
Chickpeas: These simple and buttery beans are full of manganese and iron, which are important in energy production. They are also are a great way to add iron, fiber and protein to your diet.
Garlic: This flavorful herb protects against free-radical damage, infections, several types of cancer, and most heart and blood conditions. It’s also rich in vitamins A and c and manganese.
Tahini: Tahini is actually ground sesame seeds. It’s a great source of calcium, protein, unsaturated fats and essential vitamins and minerals. It is particularly high in many B vitamins, which promote healthy cell growth and help reduce injury recovery time for some parts of your body.
Makes 2.5 cups
Serving Size: 2 tablespoons
- 1 16 oz. can chickpeas
- 2 cloves fresh garlic or 2 tablespoons pre-minced garlic
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- ⅓ cup water or liquid from chickpea can
- ⅓ cup tahini
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon cayenne
- 1 teaspoon cumin
*Note: Feel free to add more or less lemon juice, cumin, cayenne, or garlic depending on your flavor preference! I tend to add more lemon juice and cumin.
- Mince fresh garlic cloves in a food processor.
- Add the chickpeas, water, minced garlic, tahini, lemon juice, and half of the olive oil to the food processor.
- Blend until smooth. Add the rest of the olive oil and the spices. Continue blending until mixture is completely smooth. Add more spices or lemon juice to your preference.
- Enjoy! Store in the refrigerator in an airtight container for about two weeks.