Quinoa, pronounced (keen-wa ), is high in protein, high in fiber, gluten-free, and a healthy alternative to rice or pasta!
Why Quinoa Bowls?
- Easy and quick to make
- Delicious way to get your vegetables serving in for the day
- 3 cups of water (or low-sodium broth)
- 1.5 cups of quinoa
- 1 lemon or lime
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can reduced-sodium black beans
- 1 cup diced tomatoes
- 1 chopped bell pepper
- 1 sliced avocado
- 1 bunch chopped green onions
- 3 tbsp balsamic or citrus vinaigrette
NOTE: There is no limit to the amount of vegetables or healthy ingredients you add to your bowl. We chose a lime, black beans, tomatoes, avocado, bell peppers, and green onions but you can add mushrooms, celery, asparagus, broccoli, carrots, brussels sprouts, kale, cucumber, radish, or arugula-the possibilities are endless!
Minutes to prepare: 10
Minutes to cook: 20
Number of servings: 6
- Pour water into a bowl and bring it to a boil on the stove. Pour the 1.5 cups of quinoa in and lower to a simmer for 12-15 minutes until the water has fully evaporated.
- Turn off the heat and let the quinoa sit for 5-10 minutes. Fluff with a fork and allow to cool slightly.
- While that’s cooling, chop up your vegetables and slice your avocado.
- Pour your quinoa into a bowl and begin tossing in your veggies and cumin.
- Mix everything and top off with sliced avocado and vinaigrette.
Total Fat: 7g
Saturated Fat: 1g
Sodium: 170 mg
Potassium: 749 mg