Quin-what? Quinoa, pronounced (keen-wa ) is a superfood that has become a favorite among individuals searching for a healthy and delicious snack or meal. This incredible whole-grain is such an easy food to work with, the possibilities are endless. Give this delectable quinoa bowl a try.
Nothing says easy-peasy like this quinoa bowl. You’ll notice this recipe takes very little time to make because it is more about chopping and less about actual cooking. You can find all the ingredients needed for this recipe at your local shopping mart and it is AFFORDABLE.
Minutes to prepare: 10
Minutes to cook: 20
Number of servings: 6
- 3 cups of water (or low-sodium broth)
- 1.5 cup of quinoa
- 1 lime (or lime juice)
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can reduced-sodium black beans
- 1 cup diced tomatoes
- 1 chopped bell pepper
- 1 sliced avocado (or guacamole)
- 1 bunch chopped green onions
- 3 Tbsp balsamic vinaigrette
NOTE: There is no limit to the amount of vegetables you add to your bowl. We chose a lime, black beans, tomatoes and bell peppers. Go ahead and toss in your favorite–the more veggies better!
- Pour your water into a bowl and bring it to a boil on the stove. Pour your quinoa in and lower to a simmer for 12-15 minutes until the water has fully evaporated.
*TIP: The quinoa will soak up the water just like rice would, you can even substitute quinoa for rice.
- Turn off the heat and let the quinoa sit for 5-10 minutes. Fluff with a fork and allow to cool slightly.
- Pour your quinoa into a bowl and begin tossing in your veggies. Don’t forget your cumin for that smokey taste, YUM.
- After you mixed your veggies with the quinoa top it off with a serving of avocado, green onions and a small amount of vinaigrette and VOILA!
*TIP: Satisfy your salty craving for a citrus vinaigrette, it’s a healthier substitute and it’s just as tasty.
Total Fat: 7g
Saturated Fat: 1g
Sodium: 170 mg
Potassium: 749 mg