Are you feeling a copious amount of stress from studying for exams and writing papers? Does the thought of Finals Week make you want to scream and run away or hide?
We know exactly how you feel and have come up with some tips to help you survive & thrive through this semester!
1) Organize and prioritize. Make a list of everything you need to do, putting the most important tasks at the top. Maybe deadlines are your priority so you want to write down the assignments due soonest first.
2) Take mental relaxation breaks. Can’t give up your spot in the library? Just sitting in your seat, try closing your eyes for a few minutes and take 5 or more deep, exaggerated breaths-inhaling with your nose and exhaling from your mouth. Check out USF Counseling Center’s video on Breathing and Relaxation.
Try putting on a big smile! You should be proud of all your hard work. It’s easy to tense up your face and shoulders when you’re concentrating so be sure to relax those muscles and do some shoulder rolls.
3) Remind yourself that you CAN do this! Positivity goes a long way. Now is the time when you need the most motivation and encouragement. Think of your goals! The harder you work for something, the greater you’ll feel when you achieve it.
4) Exercise. You might be thinking, “The gym is the last place I should be going when I have so much work to do!” However, exercise is a GREAT way to relieve stress. It also improves your energy and memory which you need to focus and study.
USF Campus Rec has 55 min Group Fitness classes (yoga, cycling, etc.), try to squeeze one into your schedule!
5) Make sure you’re getting enough sleep. Try to sleep 7-9 hours every night. Check out this article on Stress and Sleep.
Utilize one of our state-of-the-art nap pods at Wellness Center Relaxation Zone at the FIT. Naps can increase your alertness and performance!