What does your daily to-do list look like? Maybe you have tasks to complete like homework or laundry, or maybe you have specific errands to run. We can all get caught up in the “to-do’s” of daily life and it can be easy to forget to add things like relaxation or self-care to our lists.
Things like relaxation, self-care, or even fun activities can be just as important as the rest of our daily chores and errands.
The next time you find yourself making a to-do list, try incorporating some of the ideas from the following categories:
Relaxation – here are some things that might help you unwind or de-stress:
- Listen to your favorite artist or playlist
- Complete a Mindfulness Exercise in the TAO app. Mindfulness exercises can help with self-awareness and can bring you back to the present. Sign up for TAO using this link
- Try blackout poetry or scrapbooking. Blackout poetry- poetry made by covering a page of text (found in books, magazines, newspapers, etc.) and leaving out select words.
- Read a book or watch a TV show.
Self-Care – any activity that helps improve your own physical, mental, or emotional health.
- Take a nap! Yes, you read that right. Resting can be an important part of self-care. Go ahead. Take that nap.
- Try deep breathing exercises. The Counseling Center has deep breathing exercises ranging from two minutes to 10 minutes to help you feel better and grounded.
- Use USF’s Recreation Facilities like the Fitness or Aquatics Centers.
Fun – don’t forget to make time for the things that you enjoy, whether that’s by yourself or with other people!
- Make a new recipe. You can even invite some friends over for a potluck or have a picnic together.
- Go to the pool or the beach. Beach weather is year-round in the Sunshine State!
- Spend time outdoors in nature. If you’d like, gather a few friends and go on a nature walk or organize a small game of soccer or another sport. This is a great way to get outside and move your body in a fun environment.
- Rent outdoor equipment through USF Recreation’s ORC. You can rent bikes, hammocks, tents, and more!
- Start a photo album or hang up printed photos
What does your new to-do list look like? While you may incorporate some of these ideas, you know what’s best for you- do what makes you feel good! By prioritizing self-care, relaxation, and the things that you want to do, you can create the balanced life that works for you.